To understand a culture, the best approach is by learning how people relate to food. Africa is a unique continent, diverse in culture and varied cuisine that brings delicious meals to your table. There are thousands of recipes in the African kitchen, and, I will be revealing a few. That sounds like injustice, right? It doesn’t matter because you are going to appreciate (arguably) the best fish recipes from the continent!
The Ingredients Needed
Since you have to Marinade swordfish for this recipe, it is important to include these ingredients listed below:
2. Extra virgin olive oil.
3. Lemon Juice.
5. Fresh fish.
The Time you Need to Marinade and prepare recipe
You only need 15 minutes to Marinade and at least 23 minutes for the entire preparation.
How to make grilled swordfish Toast
Making the Marinade
Get a small bowl of a food processor that has its blade intact, add extra virgin oil, lemon juice, garlic cloves, coriander, paprika, kosher salt, cumin, and black pepper. Plug your food processor and run it for a few minutes until a smooth marinade consistency is reached.
Marinate your fish
It is time to marinate your fish and it is easy to do. All you need is to get a glass dish ready, and then pat the swordfish steaks dry and place them in the glass dish provided. Pour the prepared marinade over the swordfish from all sides, and then set it aside to marinate as you heat the grill for about 15 minutes.
Grill on higher heat
As soon as the grill is ready, grill the one side of the fish steaks in high heat for 5 minutes, turn the other side, and grill for another 3 to 4 minutes. The grilling process can be carried out on a gas grill or indoor griddle.
Even as the fish grilled maintains firmness, it must flake easily, don’t worry if you see a bit of pink inside of it, it will be cooked before it gets to the table.
Abacha and Ugba
Talking of a mouth-watering dinner, Abacha and Ugba should be the first food that flashes through your imagination.
It is a super delicacy you can always prepare for a taste that lasts long in your memory. It is a favorite amongst West African dishes, particularly in Nigeria. Jollof is one great meal in West Africa but for a competent competitor, don’t look down on Abacha and Ugba.
The Ingredients Needed
1. Titus Fish.
5. Ehuru is also known as calabash nutmeg.
6. Palm oil
9. Scotch bonnet
12. Palm oil
13. Pepper Mix
How to prepare Abacha and Ugba
Marinate the Fish
The first step you need to apply is to clean and gut your fish and then marinate it with salt, bouillon cube, or seasoning and curry. Allow it to marinate in your refrigerator or a cool place for 30 minutes minimum.
Grill the marinated fish for 45 minutes on high heat.
The rest of the Preparation Process
1. Soak your Abacha in cold water until it becomes soft, at least 10 minutes,s and then allow it to drain in a colander.
2. Rinse your Ugba thoroughly with clean water to get rid of any dirt.
3. Boil the stockfish provided with salt and seasoning until soft.
4. Place the potash in one cup of water to dissolve.
5. Blend the available scotch bonnet, ½ of the onion, cray, and ground Ehuru until a smooth consistency is achieved.
Roast the calabash nutmeg after which it should be ground using mortar and pestle or a pepper mill.
6. Bring over your palm oil, pour it in the provided bowl, or do you have a saucepan? Pour it in it right away. Add the potash mixture gradually, mix thoroughly until you notice the palm oil thickens and the colour turns yellow. Avoid adding excess palm oil or the residue trapped at the bottom of the bowl.
7. Add the pepper mix to the palm oil.
8. Add the shredded stockfish, Ogiri, and Ugba and then stir and combine.
Lastly, add the Abacha, stir and mix it, and then serve.
South African Spiced Egg Salmon
This delicious recipe cannot escape my memory. My love for the Salmon fish is another reason why it is magnetized in my memory. The Spiced Egg Salmon is a great meal you will always ask for over and over.
1. One pound or about 16 ounces of salmon fillet.
2. 3 tablespoons of coconut oil.
3. ½ tablespoons of salt.
4. 2 tablespoons of smoked paprika.
5. 1 tablespoon of garlic granules.
6. 1 tablespoon of dried basil.
7. ¼ tablespoon of cayenne.
8. 2 to 4 boiled eggs.
9. 4 cups of baby greens preferably watercress, arugula, spinach, or pea shoots.
10. 2 tablespoon olive oil.
11. 1 small-sized lemon juice.
1. Get a small bowl and blend together the smoked paprika, salt, garlic, basil, and cayenne. Rub the blended ingredient to the meat part of the salmon fish.
2. Put the coconut oil in a heavy skillet that is on medium or high heat. Allow it to get hot.
Put the meat side of the salmon down and the pan sear it for at most 4 minutes. Flip to the other side and repeat the same step above but on medium heat for 3 minutes.
3. Remove the salmon meat from the heat and then cover with a lid as you allow it sits for 3 to 5 minutes.
You can now serve the portions over a bed of vegetables drizzled with olive oil, lemon juice, and eggs. Serve immediately if you so desire.
The Best fish recipes from the continent of Africa: Africans are rich in culture and heritage, for this reason, they have varieties of dishes you will be marveled about whenever you taste them. One of the thousands of super delicious meals indigenous to Africans are the fish recipes discussed above.
In case you are interested in preparing the recipes on your own someday, this is an opportunity I have presented before you. I hope you will find an appropriate time to put the steps provided into practice.
What is your take on this article? I will love to read your opinions on the comment box.